Brazil Modifies Duties on Various Products
16 March 2018
Brazilian authorities recently announced the addition of 830 items through 30 December 2019 to a list of foreign capital goods and information technology and telecommunications goods that benefit from duty-free treatment under the Ex-Tarifario regime, down from 14 or 16 percent. Of this total, 780 items are capital goods and the remaining 50 are IT and telecom goods. The capital goods covered by this action are classified in HS chapters 82, 84, 85, 86, 87, 89 and 90, while subject IT and telecom goods are classified in HS chapters 84, 85 and 90.
The Foreign Trade Chamber (CAMEX) also recently altered Brazil’s list of exceptions to the Mercosur common external tariff by providing duty-free treatment to industrial robots classified under NCM 8479.50.00 as well as, for a period of six months, certain teleferics for amusement parks classified under NCM 8428.60.00. Additionally, the 346,000 tonne tariff-rate quota that will be in place through 31 June on unalloyed aluminium ingot, sow and t-bars classified under NCM 7601.10.00 has been increased to 353,000 tonnes. In-quota imports benefit from duty-free treatment while out-of-quota merchandise is subject to a regular MFN rate of six percent.
Finally, Brazil has incorporated into its domestic legal regime Mercosur Common Market Group Resolutions 31/1017, 32/2017, 34/2017 and 35/2017 making the following changes to the common external tariff.
- N,N-dimethylacetamide classified under new tariff breakout NCM 2921.19.94 – duty has been increased from two percent to 12 percent
- idursulfase classified under new tariff breakouts NCM 3003.90.14 and 3004.90.24 – duty has been lowered from eight percent to zero
- certain fixed capacitators and other apparatus classified under new tariff breakouts NCM 8532.21.20, 8532.24.20 and 8536.90.60 – duty has been reduced from 16 percent to two percent
- duty-free treatment has been provided to certain diodes classified under NCM 8541.10.22 and 8541.10.29, down from a 16 percent duty
- the scope of the duty-free treatment provided to certain engines classified under NCM 8408.90.10 has been modified
- new tariff breakouts have been created for certain meat offal of subheading 0210.99
- Central & South America